Friday, April 22, 2016

Prince



I was born in 1970 and came of age in the 80s and 90s. There have been many influential musicians along the way, but only a handful (IMO) truly elevate to ICON level. For me, the musical icons I grew up with include Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and Prince. All of whom are now gone.

When Michael died, I felt like a piece of me had died too. When Whitney died, the way she died, those last few years of her life… that one hit me hard as well. When I first heard what were just rumors of Prince’s passing, and then as it was confirmed, I was shocked. Again, death came seemingly out of nowhere and took a man that was just so… bigger than life.

All my life, people have compared the greatness Michael Jackson and Prince. Who’s better? Who would you pick? I can’t tell you how many MJ vs Prince dance parties I’ve been to. And the thing is, no matter which side you came down on, you also had to admit that the “loser” was fucking amazing too. Me? I was always an MJ girl. When he passed, I cried. Hard.

When it was clear that the rumors were true and we lost Prince, as I said, I was shocked. My immediate reaction was that we’d lost a true icon. Words cannot describe the mastery of his musicianship, creativity and showmanship. I started thinking about all of his music and the artists that he had worked with, mentored, promoted, wrote for, played for. My God. He was greater that I’d even imagined.

Then I started reading the reactions of some of Prince’s super fans. The ways in which his music and his words had not only spoke to them, but the countless ways in which Prince had truly affected them. Made them into the people they were today.

While I can certainly agree that his music is great, I have to also admit that it never spoke to me the way Michael’s did. Or Whitney’s. I didn’t feel that sudden ache and emptiness the way I had when I’d heard of MJ’s and then Whitney’s deaths. I didn’t feel that sense of loss at the news of Prince’s death. And I have to wonder… am I better off not having that connection to Prince, to avoid the pain that so many millions of others are feeling across the globe… OR, am I doubly-damned for losing someone and something I had not even learned to REALLY appreciate?

My thoughts and condolences to Prince’s family, friends, loved ones and to all of his true fans whose lives have been altered forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment